Tuesday 3 April 2012

Green Tomato Pickle

Autumn is here and the cooler weather is just around the corner. We have already had the fire going on a couple of occasions. Time to clean out the vegetable patch and use up the remaining green tomatoes. I collected a bucket of green Black Russian tomatoes and whipped up double batch of green tomato pickle. One batch was chill and one regular. Both batches have been tested by family and friends who have loved the flavour.


Green Tomato Pickle






Green Tomato Pickle (adapted from an old  School Cookbook - I have added my changes to the recipe in brackets)


6 lbs green tomatoes (approx 2.7 kgs)
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon curry powder
3/4 lb of treacle (I used 500g of brown sugar)
3 pints vinegar ( 1of a bottle of Ezy Sauce instead)
1 teaspoon cayenne (I used black pepper)
3 lbs onions (approx 1.3 kgs)
2 apples
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon spice (I used Allspice, also added 2 tsp tumeric)
1 dozen cloves

I made a double batch because there were so many tomatoes. In the second batch I added 10 birdseye chillies to give the pickle a bit of zing.



(Sterilize jars by washing, then rinsing in very hot water, then place in a warm oven until completely dry. )

(1) Wash and slice tomatoes and peel and slice onions (and apples) add salt and let stand for 12 hours

(2) Put them with all other ingredients into a large pan and boil one hour, stirring frequently.

(3) When cold, bottle, cover and label (I did this while the relish was still warm)

This made 12 large jars of pickle.


No comments:

Post a Comment